Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Summertime and the living is easy

Although summer has not officially begun, we've had a week or so of warm weather and it has me humming to myself.

Summer is great for a lot of reasons but I'm appreciating a few of them a lot this year.

It's wonderful to leave the house without first spending 15 minutes wrestling everyone into extra sweaters, jackets, boots, mitts, toques and warm blankets. I still tote around luggage for hats, sunscreen, water and snacks, but those don't seem to require as much time to prepare or physical wrangling.

When the weather's warm, we spend most of each day in the backyard or at a park. Not only is it fun to get a change of scenery after 6 months spent mainly indoors, but the kids are tired out from all the fresh air and activity and I enjoy the added bonus of a cleaner house too.

I love watching my toddler stop and talk to ants and ladybugs. He asks them how they're doing and offers them some grass for lunch. I love to lay on a blanket beside my 7-month-old who sits contentedly with a toy and laughs at his big brother's antics. I love picnics. I love green things poking out of the dirt in my garden. I love watching my son watering them. I love watermelon and lemonade. I love the smell of sunscreen and cut grass. Yes, summer has arrived and I blame the sunshine for my ongoing good mood. Here's to 3 more months of blissfully good weather and outdoor adventures.

2 comments:

  1. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1j6avX7ebkM
    I also like watermelon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw...nice post. Made me smile. But I have to ask...what do you mean you don't like toques? =) (wink wink)
    Heather

    ReplyDelete