Sunday, September 13, 2009

September season

I love the beginning of September. As far as I can remember, I've always loved it. The weather is usually perfect with warm days and that slight hint of fall in the air. Leaves are just about to turn but there are still garden harvests to be had and some late summer blooms to be admired.
(Check out the beautiful September strawberries I plucked from my own garden today!)


In many ways September marks a new year. Of course there's school - I always loved the start of a new school year and all the possibility and excitement it brought with it. New notebooks and pencils. New teachers. New lessons to learn. Yes - I was a keener and still am I guess.

Even though my school days are over (for now), I still love this season and this year is no exception. We're experiencing a great last blast of summer sunshine and a host of new beginnings in our household too.

My oldest son had his first day of pre-school last week. He was very excited about it and seemed very comfortable exploring his classroom and meeting the kids who will soon be friends. I can't believe what a grown up little guy he seems like sometimes.

*Yes - he's holding his first homework assignment. We had to make a piece of art incorporating his footprints to decorate the class wall with. The theme is taking steps into learning... this brought on the first of what I'm sure will be many feelings of parental inadequacy as I have very little creative talent for such things and was sure the other parents would have their kids bringing in masterpieces... never mind that these are two and three year-olds... and so it begins!


Our oldest has also been starting the potty training process in the past couple of weeks. This is when I remember he's not so grown up after all! It's coming along and may be the subject of a future post. Fun times.

Our youngest is not without his own beginnings this season. In the first week of September he finally figured out how to motor around our house on his own. He has his own style for crawling where he uses one knee and one foot and lopsidedly pulls himself around. It's very cute and has brought him a lot of newfound joy as he can get into his brother's toys and follow us all around.

He also got two new teeth this past week - bringing us a few sleep deprived nights. Now he has six little chompers and is testing them out on everything in sight.


I hope everyone is enjoying this September season as much as we are!











1 comment: