Thursday, May 20, 2010

Happy birthday to a great lady!

Rob's grandmother celebrated her 90th birthday last week and the occasion made me want to pause for a moment to think about this wonderful woman who is so gracefully inhabiting her later years.

Her life has been full of great stories - she arrived in Canada from Russia during early childhood, raised 6 children on a dairy farm in the Fraser Valley and has no doubt seen and experienced a great deal during her nine decades.

I have only known her for the 12 years since I became acquainted with my husband's family - and to me she is an inspiration.

Both she and her husband are still living and independent - they golf, walk and meet up with friends daily to share a meal. All six of their childrem remain close with them and get together as a whole family on a regular basis - and if that's not a testament to a life well-lived and family well-loved, I don't know what is. She has 14 grand children who can never doubt her care for them and she has hand crocheted gifts for each of her many great grandchildren.

Grandma and Grandpa's faith has been an important pillar for the family. Everyone knows they can count on prayer and wisdom from these two in any of life's seasons or situations.

I have always felt welcome and love from Grandma and I am very proud to be added to her clan. I hope to hear many more stories and wise words, to laugh together, share many more hugs and listen to her fun harmonica playing. And I will consider myself truly blessed if I can in any small way live up to her example by the time I am 90. Happy Birthday Grandma!

No comments:

Post a Comment