Saturday, May 2, 2009

Days like this

One of the most difficult challenges I have faced so far as a parent has been to learn I am not as patient as I thought I was.

It turns out, patience really is a virtue and it's one I am continually struggling to accquire. This is not always an enjoyable process. In the midst of a red-faced, screaming, flailing temper tantrum it is difficult to step back, count to ten, take a deep breath and remember this too shall pass. For me, becoming more patient has been an extremely gradual undertaking and is still in the very early stages.
On a difficult day I find myself scolding sooner than I should, entering into needless arguments with my two-year-old, and getting frustrated when the baby's needs interrupt dinner preparations. By 3:00pm I am watching the clock and hoping my husband will come home unexpectedly early from work.

This week we had a few days like that. Tears and testing were definitely on the menu and I wasn't always feeling equipped to deal with it well.

Thankfully, there are many great days to offset the trying ones. Today was one of those. We started off with a long family bike ride to the zoo, came home for an idyllic picnic in the yard and spent the afternoon enjoying the wonderful sunshine. May has arrived. The birds are singing and the backyard beckons.



helping water the gardens is a new favourite activity :)


Days like this remind me of the incredible gift it is to spend this time of life with my family. Although the hours sometimes feel long, these years will be so short and I truly want to fill them with as much love, laughter and memorable moments as possible.

2 comments:

  1. Matthew looks very concerned to me for some reason.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are going to fly by aren't they....if only we didn't have to change so many poopy bums on the way...

    ReplyDelete